Our History

Celebrating our past

Not many people realise that The Scots School Albury, through its founding schools, is one of the oldest schools in New South 1909 websiteWales and the oldest country boarding school in the state – our School is quite literally a piece of living history.

Every story has a beginning….

A small municipality with a population of 1,580 is where our story begins. The municipality is known as Albury, and the story belongs to two Schools – The Albury Grammar School and the Glenair School for girls.

Our School’s story began on the 22nd of July 1866, when a Church of England Grammar School opened with just 14 students on the Corner of Dean and Kiewa Streets, Albury.

The Grammar School offered an independent primary and secondary school education for some 15 years. In 1881 the government withdrew funding from Independent Schools, thus forcing the senior school of the Grammar School to close. The Grammar School continued to operate as a primary school until 1885.

Following the closure of the Grammar School, its headmaster Joseph Masters moved to establish Albury High School at his home in Young Street. The School offered co-educational tuition at a secondary level through to matriculation. While the School was considered to be co-educational, girls attended classes in the mornings and boys in the afternoons.

Six years later, Masters sold Albury High School.  The new proprietors, James Bailey Wilson and Alfred John Smith, re-opened the School with just seven pupils on the roll. By the end of that year enrolments increased to 30 day students and five boarders. The School was renamed and became Albury Grammar School.

Fact: When Wilson and Smith took over, the School operated out of a single building which provided a residence for Smith and his family, as well as being the School and Boarding House.

Meanwhile, the first private school for girls, Glenair, opened in 1892, followed by Albury Ladies College in 1898.  Glenair and Albury Ladies College were sold in 1910 and became Springfield Girls School. Springfield Girls School closed in 1916 and in 1926 Rosehill Girls School was opened.

Back at Albury Grammar, Wilson became the sole proprietor of the School in 1902 when Smith was tragically killed in a buggy accident. Wilson moved the premises of Albury Grammar School to the School’s current site on Perry Street in 1909 to meet the needs of the growing School.

Wilson retired in 1929 after 42 years as Headmaster. He sold Albury Grammar to the Presbyterian Church and Albury Grammar became a school only for boys. It had remained co-education until this time.

The story was much the same at Rosehill. Rosehill Girls School was sold in 1939, but facilities were relatively poor and overcrowded. The School was relocated to a seven acre property in Schubach Street, East Albury. Rosehill was renamed and became the Woodstock School for Girls.

Meanwhile, Albury Grammar continued to prosper under the leadership of Alexander Sellars who was appointed Headmaster in 1938. Under Sellars, Albury Grammar opened a Junior School campus in 1958, the School sent the first rotary exchange students to the USA, the mothers group amassed a membership of 150 and the AS Cook Science Centre was opened.

By 1956, things started to look up for the ladies at Woodstock. Two new buildings were constructed including a science block. In 1960 a further two science laboratories, and four new classrooms were added to the prospering girls School.

Meanwhile, the gentlemen at Albury Grammar School celebrated the School’s Centenary in 1966. To celebrate the milestone, Albury Grammar built a four-faced clock tower and refectory building.

And then everything changed…

Two worlds collided and two schools became one. The year 1972 saw the amalgamation of Albury Grammar School and Woodstock Presbyterian Ladies College – The Scots School Albury was born.

The newly named Scots School adopted the crest of Albury Grammar and the motto of Woodstock – fide et literis – faith and learning. Mr Allan Jones and Miss Jean Myers were appointed to the roles of Principal and Senior Mistress of Scots – Jones and Myers were the former Deputy Principals of Albury Grammar and Woodstock.

FACT: The Scots School Albury affiliated with the Uniting Church in Australia in 1977.

In 1978, Alastair Todd was appointed to lead the School.  During the 1970s, Todd implemented onsite boarding for both girls and boys, a new Junior School wing was constructed at the main campus, and old classrooms were given a makeover.

The 1980s were as prosperous as the 1970s. A steady increase in student numbers called for new facilities and new Junior School and Senior School classrooms were constructed, a swimming pool was added, the School garden area was refurbished, the John Edwards Theatre and Luff Pavilion were opened and Tennis courts were built on Tribune Street.

But it didn’t stop there. During the 1990s the Alastair Todd Chapel Hall and the Information Technology and Cultural Centre were opened.

Alastair Todd left Scots in 1998 after amassing twenty successful years of leadership. In the new millennium, a new science centre was erected and a new indoor sports centre and state-of-the-art trade skills centre were opened.

But this story still has a chapter or two to go….

© Copyright 2017 The Scots School Albury. All Rights Reserved

We are social: