Celebrating our past
The Scots School Albury, through its founding schools, is one of the oldest schools in New South Wales and the oldest country Boarding School in the State. Our School’s story began in 1866, when the Church of England Grammar School opened with just 14 students on the corner of Dean and Kiewa Streets, Albury. The Grammar School offered an independent primary and secondary school education for some 15 years until its closure in 1885. Following the closure of the Grammar School, its headmaster Joseph Masters moved to establish Albury High School at his home in Young Street. The School offered co-educational tuition at a secondary level through to matriculation.
For over 150 years, Scots has been providing outstanding educational opportunities with a proud history and tradition at its foundations.
Six years later, the Grammar School was reopened with just seven pupils. By the end of that year, enrolments increased to 30 day students and five boarders. The School was renamed and became Albury Grammar School.
The premises of Albury Grammar School was moved to the School’s current site on Perry Street in 1909 to meet the needs of the growing School. Wilson retired in 1929 after 42 years as Headmaster. He sold Albury Grammar to the Presbyterian Church and Albury Grammar became a school for boys.
Meanwhile, the first private school for girls, Glenair, opened in 1892, followed by Albury Ladies College in 1898. Glenair and Albury Ladies College were sold in 1910 and became Springfield Girls School. Springfield Girls School closed in 1916 and in 1926, Rosehill Girls School was opened.
Rosehill Girls School was relocated to a seven-acre property in Schubach Street, East Albury. Rosehill was renamed and became the Woodstock Presbyterian School for Girls.
Albury Grammar continued to prosper and celebrated its Centenary in 1966. To celebrate the milestone, Albury Grammar built a four-faced clock tower and refectory building.
In 1972 Albury Grammar School and Woodstock Presbyterian Girls School amalgamated and The Scots School Albury was born. The newly named Scots adopted the crest of Albury Grammar and the motto of Woodstock – Fide et Literis – faith and learning. Our affiliation with the Uniting Church began in 1977 and over the following 50 years The Scots School Albury has provided an exceptional education for young people from across Regional NSW and North East Victoria. Our foundation as a traditional, yet modern, place of education ensures our students gain from our experience and history as a co-educational independent Boarding School.